Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First day and two first cleans

WCF

Help Support WCF:

So had my first 2 jobs today. And a few of lessons learnt.

- Deffo need to send reminders the evening before - first house back gate was locked, and no way I could easily climb over. Have sent text to custy (as was partly on me for not reminding) offering to come back tomorrow/later in the week.
- First cleans definitely need easily double the amount of microfibre cloths than one would assume. The ones I took out with me were black, mainly dirt from the rubber seals on the double glazing.
- In fact, first cleans I should be increasing my price to 2x normal rate, rather than the 1 1/2x I quoted on these - I'm happy with the price I've quoted as a "regular", but averaged at 3 times per pane going over to get them up to scratch... Sorry, is "scratch" a windy swear word? :p But yeah, Unger blade and 0000 steel wool and magic eraser sponge definitely came to my rescue!

Have practised on my own windows at home a fair bit (no doubt lots more practise to come!) but it's definitely true that until you get out and put your nose to paying customers' glass, you don't realise half of what goes into it.

Have dropped some leaflets off at the local corner shop as well as paying for an advert on their notice board, plan on spending a couple of days leafletting the area as well - but these first 2 jobs and another booked later in the week have just been from advertising on local community group on Facebook... So social media's not all bad!

Well done. You gained experience today. Get out there leafletting, canvassing usually gets better returns as people get to meet you. You do need to create a good impression and come across as confident you can do a good job.

Be careful as a newbie on your "first clean" pricing. You are not up to speed as a pro yet so it obviously takes longer per house.Experience will sort that out...but experience takes time.

Be careful as a newbie on your "first clean" pricing. You are not up to speed as a pro yet so it obviously takes longer per house.Experience will sort that out...but experience takes time.
Yeah tbh I had a think about it overnight, think I'll just stick to my "50% extra" first clean rate for the time being for extra grubby windows, potentially waiving it completely (for now at least) if they're not too bad/people I know etc, to get word of mouth going for me.

Even so, customer I had confirmed for Thursday came back and said someone's quoted her £1 cheaper so will be going with them... I didn't even bother haggling

Yeah tbh I had a think about it overnight, think I'll just stick to my "50% extra" first clean rate for the time being for extra grubby windows, potentially waiving it completely (for now at least) if they're not too bad/people I know etc, to get word of mouth going for me.

Even so, customer I had confirmed for Thursday came back and said someone's quoted her £1 cheaper so will be going with them... I didn't even bother haggling
From my own experience starting out I did not charge extra for "first clean". My objective was to get customers and build a round foremost. My view was the extra time spent on the new customers windows was an investment that would give me a recurring income. Although many others on here would probably rightly justify the need to charge more for the first one. Also as you have discovered price is a barrier for many.

So been out leaflet dropping today and was absolutely stunned by the high number of houses with "no traders/canvassers/soliciting" signs - about 50% of the houses! Nothing more disheartening than walking up multiple long driveways to 1950s bungalows with extensions/annexes/loft conversions (what I imagine would be "ideal" jobs - mostly low level windows but loads so slightly easier work for higher price?) just to get to the side/main door and find the "if you're selling you're trespassing" (as one sign said) type sings.

Oh well. Must carry on. Hopefully everyone being home over the long weekend will make them realise how dirty their windows are when I drop leaflets over the next few days!

So been out leaflet dropping today and was absolutely stunned by the high number of houses with "no traders/canvassers/soliciting" signs - about 50% of the houses! Nothing more disheartening than walking up multiple long driveways to 1950s bungalows with extensions/annexes/loft conversions (what I imagine would be "ideal" jobs - mostly low level windows but loads so slightly easier work for higher price?) just to get to the side/main door and find the "if you're selling you're trespassing" (as one sign said) type sings.

Oh well. Must carry on. Hopefully everyone being home over the long weekend will make them realise how dirty their windows are when I drop leaflets over the next few days!
I leaflet drop the ones with the no canvassing signs anyway. Sometimes I even leaflet drop the ones with 'no junk mail' signs - just the ones that need their windows cleaned :). I don't consider it junk mail as I am providing a service that their windows could do with :ROFLMAO:
I do hate the ones with a long drive and getting to the door then seeing the no junk mail sign, so they get a leaflet too. OK so I probably don't get work from it and it costs me a leaflet but they still have to bend down to pick it up ;)

I think the local council go round suggesting the signs after 'issues'. There is a couple of streets that I do, that most of the houses have the signs and they are mainly bungalows too. Looking around it appears that a good few have newish roofs, I suspect a bogus company were conning the older ones into having a new roof by saying old one is shot!!! The ones with the old roofs all still look in great condition, some a bit mossy but all look reasonable. My suspicions are because the new roofs are all the same type and colour of tile and same ridge system - so I guess same company...

We have a couple of large navy estates round our way , the navy have put stickers on every house saying no cold calling , no sales , no religious groups ,no charity bags , no junk mail , but that’s not nessasarily the view of the house holder . We don’t canvass theses days but do pick up work in theses areas by them contacting us , so maybe a website could attract ones in this situation or sign written van as ones will see you in the area .

Even so, customer I had confirmed for Thursday came back and said someone's quoted her £1 cheaper so will be going with them... I didn't even bother hahaggling
I'd like to offer you some simple advice, since you're a newbie. That situation with the customer going with the lower price of 1£ less you should of matched the price you need the customer, you need the learning experience and paid training. Until your round is full up don't let customer go because 1£ , you never know how valuable one customer can be to you.

I hope this helps. Your doing great, keep canvassing and the customer will come along. Good luck out there! Be safe.

I just ignored the “no canvassing” sign.

When they opened the door, I just said
“Oops, sorry I just noticed the sign in your window after I knocked “ and then carried on. Nobody was bothered at all.?

I just ignored the “no canvassing” sign.

When they opened the door, I just said
“Oops, sorry I just noticed the sign in your window after I knocked “ and then carried on. Nobody was bothered at all.?
Nice idea.
I was going to canvass an area but all the houses had 'the sign' so just leaflet dropped. Spoke to one elderly lady who was in front garden and even though she had the sign she said ignore them as council were insistent she put sign in window!!! I gave here a quote and she recommended me to her 2 neighbours as well!

nice, you mentioned you paid to advertise in a local newsagent? how much was that and how big is the advert/ how many other businesses are advertising in the same space? cheers

I'd like to offer you some simple advice, since you're a newbie. That situation with the customer going with the lower price of 1£ less you should of matched the price you need the customer, you need the learning experience and paid training. Until your round is full up don't let customer go because 1£ , you never know how valuable one customer can be to you.

I hope this helps. Your doing great, keep canvassing and the customer will come along. Good luck out there! Be safe.
To be honest this was a customer I'd rather not have... I quoted originally because, well, I don't want to be accused of actively turning away business. But the person concerned used to be a neighbour and gave us nothing but trouble at the time to the extent of police being called. Don't think she realised who I was so letting that quote slide probably saved an awkward conversation if I showed up at the door with my squeegee.

nice, you mentioned you paid to advertise in a local newsagent? how much was that and how big is the advert/ how many other businesses are advertising in the same space? cheers
50p a week (so I paid for 4 weeks initially) for a postcard-sized ad - literally one of my standard leaflets actually, and as I know the manager he was happy to let me leave a pile of leaflets on the counter as well :D

To be honest this was a customer I'd rather not have... I quoted originally because, well, I don't want to be accused of actively turning away business. But the person concerned used to be a neighbour and gave us nothing but trouble at the time to the extent of police being called. Don't think she realised who I was so letting that quote slide probably saved an awkward conversation if I showed up at the door with my squeegee.
50p a week (so I paid for 4 weeks initially) for a postcard-sized ad - literally one of my standard leaflets actually, and as I know the manager he was happy to let me leave a pile of leaflets on the counter as well :D

thats cheap!!!

how many customers are you on now?

I leaflet drop the ones with the no canvassing signs anyway. Sometimes I even leaflet drop the ones with 'no junk mail' signs - just the ones that need their windows cleaned :). I don't consider it junk mail as I am providing a service that their windows could do with :ROFLMAO:
I do hate the ones with a long drive and getting to the door then seeing the no junk mail sign, so they get a leaflet too. OK so I probably don't get work from it and it costs me a leaflet but they still have to bend down to pick it up ;)

I think the local council go round suggesting the signs after 'issues'. There is a couple of streets that I do, that most of the houses have the signs and they are mainly bungalows too. Looking around it appears that a good few have newish roofs, I suspect a bogus company were conning the older ones into having a new roof by saying old one is shot!!! The ones with the old roofs all still look in great condition, some a bit mossy but all look reasonable. My suspicions are because the new roofs are all the same type and colour of tile and same ridge system - so I guess same company...
I've run a full leaflet distribution company it was 22% we still put them through, you get lots of work from them as other companies miss those doors out.

Back