Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

No Stamp On Envelope..!

I've noticed recently that I've had a minority of customers that usually send cheque payment(literally 1/2 but still very frustrating), neglecting to put a stamp on the pre-addressed envelope.

Now petty as this sounds, it results in a major hassle trip to my nearest(out of the way) Post Office and a £1.50 charge.

Now I realise this isn't a vast amount of £££, but when you deduct charge/fuel/time from the cost of the job it becomes a concern.

So with a view of being diplomatic, what's the best way to handle this situation? Politely worded message on next bill adding cost, or politely worded message on next bill excusing this one time?

Any suggestions- i dont want to start losing £££(however small) as I'm still building round and every penny counts, but don't want to lose work through pettiness/mis-understandings?

Urmmmm I have never heard of anyone supplying an envelope without stamp lol
Ive always done this tbh mate. I now try to push more for bank transfers(or cash of course), but there always a minority who prefer to send payment for which I leave a pre-addressed envelope.

very true you should put a stamp on a envelope ,Why don't you get a website most of my customers pay on that now I only get a few cheques

Picture this.

Just finished cleaning a lovely 750k house.

Customer pops out and says she will send a send a cheque. The bill is £125 as was in and out.

And I ain't gonna supply a 50p stamp??!!!

LMAO

I get mine at the cash and carry 60 at a time, when your saving on the collection anyway surely it's got to be cheaper than the fuel and time so 60p of stamp on the conqueror metallic envelopes got to be worth it.

on jobs like that damo it is worth it, but i use to supply stamps, then custy would pay online, i am considering moving to cash on day or online only, if custy cant do that, then pass them on to a other cleaners

Picture this.

Just finished cleaning a lovely 750k house.

Customer pops out and says she will send a send a cheque. The bill is £125 as was in and out.

And I ain't gonna supply a 50p stamp?t?!!!

LMAO
Of course it would be mate, but that same principle doesn't apply to say a £10/£12 house. I deliberately don't often collect (as I'm training my customers to forward/send payment), and just feel that the cost of a stamp/envelope although small de-ducts from the price of the job you've just done(especially if the customer still doesn't send on time or decides to do bank transfer).
I may have to either re-think the wording on my calling slip, or factor ££ into the job me finks.

I always put a stamp on sae's. I also put the custys address on the back when I push it through the letter box, so I know who the cheque is off when it arrives. Also sometimes the stamp doesn't get franked, so you can use it for the next time you're at that particular house ;

I always put a stamp on sae's. I also put the custys address on the back when I push it through the letter box, so I know who the cheque is off when it arrives. Also sometimes the stamp doesn't get franked, so you can use it for the next time you're at that particular house ;

I use to supply a envelope and no stamp, now I just give them a slip and they can pay via PayPal, bacs or send a cheque at their cost. Never had any issues.

If a stamp costs say 50p on a £10 job that alone is a % 5 reduction on income why should you the cleaner have to foot the bill ?

All those 50ps add up over the year .

If your on 4 weekly like most cleaners thats £6 a year just to get paid ! For 1 job .

If a stamp costs say 50p on a £10 job that alone is a % 5 reduction on income why should you the cleaner have to foot the bill ?

If your on 4 weekly like most cleaners thats £6 a year just to get paid ! For 1 job .
My line of thought exactly mate, but I think we're in the minority on this one!
I guess it comes down to 'running costs' and acceptable losses of you have a large enough customer base to swallow it.

Just smarts when your trying to build a round(or maybe I'm just too tight!).

Taking online payments eats up more profit.. I would quicker leave them a stamped addressed envelope than tell them about online.

I collect for 2-3 hours a week.. I don't mind it, but will leave sae in bigger houses, further away, and people who just are never home.

I'm with you on this one,never had any issues with providing no stamp.

I don't see why I should,especially when a lot of my customers have range rovers,Bentleys etc .

I'm with you on this one,never had any issues with providing no stamp.

I don't see why I should,especially when a lot of my customers have range rovers,Bentleys etc .
So in answer to my original thread, what would you do if you got charged by RM for an unstamped envelope(on an average house, not mansion!).

So in answer to my original thread, what would you do if you got charged by RM for an unstamped envelope(on an average house, not mansion!).
Stick it on the next bill.

That's just how I work mate,the amount of cheques that come through would cost a fortune over the year.

Really??? Put a 2nd class stamp on it, cost you more in fuel to drive there an pick up the money.

For the sake of 40/50p. what ever the stamp price is, all goes through the books,

Back