Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ear Defenders while Pressure Washing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ched999uk

Just bought a little petrol PW (11lts a min 200 bar) and gave it a little try at home after setting it up. I expected it to be noisy as it is a budget machine but I think ear defenders would be a good idea.
Is there a spec I should be looking for i.e. they sell them for shooting or general purpose?
I guess the higher attenuation db figure the better?
Any suggestions?
Cheers

Just bought a little petrol PW (11lts a min 200 bar) and gave it a little try at home after setting it up. I expected it to be noisy as it is a budget machine but I think ear defenders would be a good idea.
Is there a spec I should be looking for i.e. they sell them for shooting or general purpose?
Any suggestions?
Cheers
There are different grade shooting is different to using a chainsaw and using a chipper is different again I would ask what’s best chipper ones are the highest grade as far as ime aware , but anything will take the edge off the noise is good .

Any suggestions?
Cheers
I've always used British army issue peltor ear defenders but recently won a set of IsoTunes Link noise cancelling Bluetooth ear defenders as I can take phone calls when working

They’re all noisy. The budget ones are deafening. I use Screwfix site brand defenders. Cheap as chips. Perfect fine. I actually find the cheap foam earplugs by far the best in performance but live with the ease of the defender as found trying to take plugs out with gloved hands is near impossible.

Nothing to do with ear-defenders and not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but if you have a budget machine first thing I’d do is add or replace as many fixings as you can with spring washers. My little Rocwood cheapie virtually dismantled itself first couple of uses.

Nothing to do with ear-defenders and not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but if you have a budget machine first thing I’d do is add or replace as many fixings as you can with spring washers. My little Rocwood cheapie virtually dismantled itself first couple of uses.
Cheers.
I have been round and checked the tightness of all bolts, the ones that hold the engine to anti vibration mounts, wheels, and other add on bits all have nylock nuts. I will keep my eyes on things.
First test is my own paths, driveway, and composite decking this weekend, so I might stand the pw in a tray so I can catch any nuts that fall off :).
Thanks for the tip.

Cheers.
I have been round and checked the tightness of all bolts, the ones that hold the engine to anti vibration mounts, wheels, and other add on bits all have nylock nuts. I will keep my eyes on things.
First test is my own paths, driveway, and composite decking this weekend, so I might stand the pw in a tray so I can catch any nuts that fall off :).
Thanks for the tip.
Make sure you do an oil change after 15 hours and don't run it flat out and rev it tits off the very first time you use it.

I once brought a cheap one for small jobs before buying a much bigger machine.
Still have it and use it to wash my van and chassis

I bought some ear defenders from Screwfix (https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-comfort-ear-defenders-29-8db-snr/41054) £7.49 29.8dB reduction in sound level. They are nice and tight, don't move about when working and do cut out the noise in a huge way. Coupled with an old pair or bluetooth earbuds I could happily listen to my music at a relatively low volume level.
Little pressure washer did well. I think it was about two to three times as fast as my old electrical Nilfisk one. I did find the turbo best for the slabs and composite decking but it worked really fast on the spindles which used to take an age, plus I could hold the lance at a fair distance from the 'planks' and it covered the whole width, so was only a single pass per plank to clean.
I had the PW in a plastic tray in case any bolts fell off but all worked well. All nuts and bolts remained in place and seem tight when checked at the end. Very pleased, for the money it's great. I was half expecting to have to use a barrel as our tap pressure is only about 28psi and flow isn't great but it worked tap fed no problems at all.

I bought some ear defenders from Screwfix (https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-comfort-ear-defenders-29-8db-snr/41054) £7.49 29.8dB reduction in sound level. They are nice and tight, don't move about when working and do cut out the noise in a huge way. Coupled with an old pair or bluetooth earbuds I could happily listen to my music at a relatively low volume level.
Little pressure washer did well. I think it was about two to three times as fast as my old electrical Nilfisk one. I did find the turbo best for the slabs and composite decking but it worked really fast on the spindles which used to take an age, plus I could hold the lance at a fair distance from the 'planks' and it covered the whole width, so was only a single pass per plank to clean.
I had the PW in a plastic tray in case any bolts fell off but all worked well. All nuts and bolts remained in place and seem tight when checked at the end. Very pleased, for the money it's great. I was half expecting to have to use a barrel as our tap pressure is only about 28psi and flow isn't great but it worked tap fed no problems at all.
Same ones I use. Perfectly decent. And cheap.

Latest Posts

Back