Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Redundant after 40 years

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jellylegline

Hello everyone,I'm Martin, I've just been made redundant, and as I've helped a friend in the past few years window cleaning , I'm trying to set up a window cleaning pure water business. I've got a few regular customers working from a Gardiner back pack system and I've got a reverse osmosis system. My question is I've just brought a Peugeot Partner 2012 plate. I'm looking to hopefully put 400L flat baffle tank set up with 2 leisure batteries, controller, pump 100m reel.......Any advice on this setup would be well appreciated, especially regarding the baffle tank.
Cheers Martin

@Jellylegline sorry to hear of your redundancy mate. Have a look on YouTube as I'm sure you'll find someone with a similar set up that you are after. Lots of clever setups and how to go about either building it yourself or having it done by a company. Best of luck with you new venture buddy.

First thing, I assume your Partner is the 800kg load rating? If it's the 600/650kg then a 400lts tank might be pushing the weight limit.
Second, most people don't use flat tanks as when you get a bit low on water and park on a hill or kerb the water sits away from the outlet and you get air locks. A 400lts upright tank and frame - for your safety you need a frame bolted through the floor with spreader plates - otherwise in the event of an accident the tank will crush you against the steering wheel!!!!

I started with backpack and my car and bought a 2019 Partner (1000kg rating) and find it great. I have an upright 400lts tank and started with a reel that I would lift in and out and plug into bumper ports. I upgraded to an electric reel with through the floor rollers. While an electric reel might be too big an investment at the start I would recommend the through the floor rollers. They allow you to lock the van and enable you to not have to lift the reel in and out at each job, plus when reeling in with a van mounted hose reel you don't have to bend down and put one foot on the reel.

I'm not sure why you need 2 leisure batteries? You will need to charge the battery up each night to ensure it lasts as long as possible. I'm not sure I would buy a split charge relay unless you can't charge easily each night but even then unless you do lots of miles (probably over 100) a day you won't be putting enough back in the battery.

Hope that gives you a few things to consider.

First thing, I assume your Partner is the 800kg load rating? If it's the 600/650kg then a 400lts tank might be pushing the weight limit.
Second, most people don't use flat tanks as when you get a bit low on water and park on a hill or kerb the water sits away from the outlet and you get air locks. A 400lts upright tank and frame - for your safety you need a frame bolted through the floor with spreader plates - otherwise in the event of an accident the tank will crush you against the steering wheel!!!!

I started with backpack and my car and bought a 2019 Partner (1000kg rating) and find it great. I have an upright 400lts tank and started with a reel that I would lift in and out and plug into bumper ports. I upgraded to an electric reel with through the floor rollers. While an electric reel might be too big an investment at the start I would recommend the through the floor rollers. They allow you to lock the van and enable you to not have to lift the reel in and out at each job, plus when reeling in with a van mounted hose reel you don't have to bend down and put one foot on the reel.

I'm not sure why you need 2 leisure batteries? You will need to charge the battery up each night to ensure it lasts as long as possible. I'm not sure I would buy a split charge relay unless you can't charge easily each night but even then unless you do lots of miles (probably over 100) a day you won't be putting enough back in the battery.

Hope that gives you a few things to consider.
Thank you for your advice 👍

Hi Martin

I started with backpack & 200ltr tank in a Nissan Micra where the back seat used to be. Then moved up to same vehicle as you with 400ltr tank - yes it was borderline weight compliant. Now have Transit Custom. I still have the 40ltr tank and split charge relay which I havn't got around to selling on ebay if you are interested? I might be able to help you out in a few other areas... Are you on the Southcoast? One bit of marketing advice; don't try compete with other window cleaners! Know your worth and be prepared to walk away from business if it doesn't meet your needs. Those that get their pricing wrong rarley survive their first year of business!

Regards
Steve

Hello everyone,I'm Martin, I've just been made redundant, and as I've helped a friend in the past few years window cleaning , I'm trying to set up a window cleaning pure water business. I've got a few regular customers working from a Gardiner back pack system and I've got a reverse osmosis system. My question is I've just brought a Peugeot Partner 2012 plate. I'm looking to hopefully put 400L flat baffle tank set up with 2 leisure batteries, controller, pump 100m reel.......Any advice on this setup would be well appreciated, especially regarding the baffle tank.
Cheers Martin
if or any one is interested , I have a very nice kit, controller, pump , reel and this is electric leisure battery and all connections photos can be provided.

Hi Martin

I started with backpack & 200ltr tank in a Nissan Micra where the back seat used to be. Then moved up to same vehicle as you with 400ltr tank - yes it was borderline weight compliant. Now have Transit Custom. I still have the 40ltr tank and split charge relay which I havn't got around to selling on ebay if you are interested? I might be able to help you out in a few other areas... Are you on the Southcoast? One bit of marketing advice; don't try compete with other window cleaners! Know your worth and be prepared to walk away from business if it doesn't meet your needs. Those that get their pricing wrong rarley survive their first year of business!

Regards
Steve
Hi Steve, it's good to hear stories of how people first started out and how they've made it work, it gives me a bit more confidence. I'm from the Leicestershire area. Thanks👍

Hi Steve, it's good to hear stories of how people first started out and how they've made it work, it gives me a bit more confidence. I'm from the Leicestershire area. Thanks👍
There is a thread here: https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/threads/upto-50-customers.29052/ from @HWCS that details how he started. It makes quite an interesting read and is inspirational.

A few tips:
Read: https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/threads/how-to-start-a-window-cleaning-business.36278/

Do you research - I read the whole forum and took lots of notes in different categories as everyone does things different.
Use the forum search but if you don't get a decent answer ask.
Watch a lot of YouTube - UK window cleaners and develop you own procedure for cleaning windows - i.e. top of frame, right, top, left, scrub glass, scrub sill, rinse, wipe sill - I like having a procedure as it helps with speed but makes sure I do a consistently good job. Don't worry about speed when you start, when I used to read of people doing 15 to 20 houses a day I couldn't imaging how they managed that but after a while it clicks and you speed up naturally.
When you are ready to buy kit post a thread here checking you are buying the right kit.
Don't price low as you think you will up your prices when you get more confident. Use other peoples web sites to get an idea of pricing. Work out your price strategy as there are occasions where you get a recommendation and you give them a price and they say how come mine is £2 more expensive than my neighbours? If you have a system you can explain - you have an extra window/patio door etc.
Clean your own windows a million times, from different angles, as if there where bushes in the way or not straight on etc.

Cheers Martin
Where did you bring your van to?

There is a thread here: https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/threads/upto-50-customers.29052/ from @HWCS that details how he started. It makes quite an interesting read and is inspirational.

A few tips:
Read: https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/threads/how-to-start-a-window-cleaning-business.36278/

Do you research - I read the whole forum and took lots of notes in different categories as everyone does things different.
Use the forum search but if you don't get a decent answer ask.
Watch a lot of YouTube - UK window cleaners and develop you own procedure for cleaning windows - i.e. top of frame, right, top, left, scrub glass, scrub sill, rinse, wipe sill - I like having a procedure as it helps with speed but makes sure I do a consistently good job. Don't worry about speed when you start, when I used to read of people doing 15 to 20 houses a day I couldn't imaging how they managed that but after a while it clicks and you speed up naturally.
When you are ready to buy kit post a thread here checking you are buying the right kit.
Don't price low as you think you will up your prices when you get more confident. Use other peoples web sites to get an idea of pricing. Work out your price strategy as there are occasions where you get a recommendation and you give them a price and they say how come mine is £2 more expensive than my neighbours? If you have a system you can explain - you have an extra window/patio door etc.
Clean your own windows a million times, from different angles, as if there where bushes in the way or not straight on etc.
Thank you for the reply, I did a first clean on a small house with a conservatory, all the outside and inside the conservatory. Moss and very dirty, no outside tap and only a Gardiner back pack and barrels of pure water. It took me 3 and half hours. I was pleased with the result. I charged 50 but going forward outside only 15 a month as the landlord has 6 properties all close by and I've been given 4 of them monthly plus a tiny bit of a garden work on the properties .

Attachments

• IMG_20240502_124424_resized_20240504_045507099.jpg
    IMG_20240502_124424_resized_20240504_045507099.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240502_124416_resized_20240504_045506623.jpg
    IMG_20240502_124416_resized_20240504_045506623.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for the reply, I did a first clean on a small house with a conservatory, all the outside and inside the conservatory. Moss and very dirty, no outside tap and only a Gardiner back pack and barrels of pure water. It took me 3 and half hours. I was pleased with the result. I charged 50 but going forward outside only 15 a month as the landlord has 6 properties all close by and I've been given 4 of them monthly plus a tiny bit of a garden work on the properties .
It's great to gain experience and extra jobs. Now you know how long that size of a conservatory takes (looks like 12 panels) you can adjust your prices/hourly rate. If you can break it down, time wise into, conservatory roof, cons interior, and house. Make a note of the approximate time it took for each part, so next time you can quote a more reasonable price.
This will be a little controversial but in my opinion, when you start you should be able to earn £30 an hour. After time you will speed up and then should be easily be able to earn £40 an hour, if you can create a compact round then £60 is achievable.
As an example I did a glass canopy and a car port roof on Friday, it took me longer than I expected at 3 hrs but I charged £100 and I was a little disappointed with myself for not realising it would take me that long. I should have charged significantly more! We all make mistakes but if we can learn from them it's not all bad :) .

Well done. One thing you can't buy is experience.

That's a very keen price and should be at least double, and more. However you've gained experience and secured ongoing work
Yes I know what you mean, but as I get more work and more experience I'll feel more confident with the financial side of it , especially with quotes as this is the side of the business I'm going to struggle with... I feel like I'm asking for work and not providing a service.. ... Yes I know it sounds bad but after 42y years in a factory I'm a bit institutionalised... Hard work is the easy bit 🤣🤣

Yes I know what you mean, but as I get more work and more experience I'll feel more confident with the financial side of it , especially with quotes as this is the side of the business I'm going to struggle with... I feel like I'm asking for work and not providing a service.. ... Yes I know it sounds bad but after 42y years in a factory I'm a bit institutionalised... Hard work is the easy bit 🤣🤣
I agree with you. After almost 3 years I still feel a little awkward giving some quotes. The car port I did on Friday, in my head I had decided to quote £100 for it, but £60 came out of my mouth!
That said if you need the income and are gaining experience then get what you can. I aim to win 75 to 80% of my quotes. If I'm winning less then my price may be a little high, if I win all then I'm too cheap.
From the images it looks like you did a decent job, so have confidence in what you are doing.
If you speak confidently and explain you clean glass, frames, sills, doors every x weeks, text the night before etc then you should be fine. As they say fake it till you make it - confidence wise anyway :)

Latest Posts

Back