Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Reverse osmosis filtered water more corrosive?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Stratf01

I had a sales guy warning me about the harm our filtered water can have on vehicles. He was saying it's far more corrosive on metal than normal tap water.

Is there any truth in this do you know?
I was thinking about comparing a jar of nails with filtered Vs tap water to see if there is a difference.

Any thoughts?
Ta

Actually pure water is less corrosive. Pure water (deionised) has no free ions (charged particles). However the free ions in tap water tend to react with metals and form metal-oxides on their surface. Also tap water is more conductive which can lead to corrosion.
Pure water does have a higher capacity for absorbsion though which makes it good for cleaning.

Last edited:
I had a sales guy warning me about the harm our filtered water can have on vehicles. He was saying it's far more corrosive on metal than normal tap water.

Is there any truth in this do you know?
I was thinking about comparing a jar of nails with filtered Vs tap water to see if there is a difference.

Any thoughts?
Ta
Kindly tell him to jog on. 000ppm water has had all it it's properties stripped no calcium, no chlorine no metals so pure it's actually unsafe to drink as it will absorb too many of the bodies electrolytes

I seam to remember Ionic’s saying pure water can damage brass fittings if water is always in them that was in 2003 but a lot of car valeters use pure for car washing so don’t think it will do much damage to a vehicle

Latest Posts

Back