Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO Water-flow problem

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi
I’m trying to upload a vid of my filter problem but it’s saying file is too large. The first one I did was a couple of minutes long, so I made it short and sweeter in just over a minute in length, but still it won’t let me upload it saying it’s too large.

Is it possible I can send it to someone for advice???

Thanks in advance.
You could upload it to youtube then add a link here.
At a guess, if you lower the resolution of the video when recording it it will be smaller.
Hope that helps.

At a guess, if you lower the resolution of the video when recording it it will be smaller.
Hope that helps.uploaded
Hope that helps.
uploaded
! 👍 cheers

@Clearview Lee I'm not an expert on RO systems mate but do you know what your water pressure is? Water flow and pressure can be quite different. I can't see on your video, but if you've had a normal threaded garden tap fitted you can test it with a mains/washing machine tester. I had this at my old house - the water ran from the taps very quickly but the actual pressure was quite low. I got the tester from Screwfix or Toolstation but I can't remember which. Apologies if you've already tried this.

I would do as you have done - break it down section by section. I would go a little further though to check everything out.
I would disconnect the output pipe from the pre filters, then remove all pre filters. Is there a decent flow coming out of the pre filter housings? If so I would replace 1 filter at a time and check flow, then add second pre filter and test etc.
That should give you an indication of the state of your pre filters and if they are a problem.

Bear in mind that 300lts of pure a day is 600 litres through the filters - at 3 months - 60 work days that's about 36000 litres - that's right on the limit for Pentair filters and they are amongst the longest lasting. As for the sediment, it's difficult to see with a white housing but that sounds like it might be a long time for the sediment.

As I say I would test the pre filters first.

If you have eliminated your pre filters I assume that who ever fitted the tap didn't use one of the self piercing washing machine ones did they as they are terrible for flow.

If the tap is ok and pre filters all good then flush your membrane out for say 30 mins and see if it improves, double check the second membrane (maybe swap to check everything is ok there.

Let us know how you get on.

It strikes me as odd that it is only trickling out of your prefilters. My RO uses the same prefilters and I have quite low pressure mains but my water comes out of the prefilters at a good steady flow. It's the RO membranes that normally slow the flow right down due to the water having to pass through the really fine membranes. I would check your mains pressure first then focus on the prefilters, especially the first one (the sediment filter). If it has been standing for some time it might have grown a biofilm over it which will block it. You'll know if it has because it will likely feel slimy.

I once changed prefilters on my old 450gpd r/o. The following day there was no water produced.
The sidiment filter was completely blocked with sediment.
There must have been a burst pipe somewhere.

My recommendation is to fit a clear filter bowl on the first prefilter. That way you can see the condition of that filter at a glance.

It's a long shot. Somewhere along the line one supplier use to fit a non return 1/4"push fit elbow.
It might be worth checking if you have one fitted on the prefilter inlet.

Thanks a lot chaps.
I’ve gone through pretty much everything here, and although the flow isn’t quite enough to produce enough for my everyday use, it is coming through a lot better than previously.
Upon process of elimination, the biggest improvement was when I changed the resin. Now I have around 5 drops per second as opposed to one drop every 3-5 seconds.

I have ordered a water pressure tester, which will arrive next week.

Anyone know what is a sufficient/insufficient reading is?

Thanks again for all your invaluable help.

Fantastic forum 🙌🏼

Just a thought, I assume your outdoor tap isn't fed from one of the self piercing washing machine valves is it as they have very poor flow.
I fitted a new Pegler full bore 1/4 turn tap, a 15mm full bore isolator and teed into the 15mm cold water pipe, I saw quite a decent improvement on flow and pressure.

Anyone know what is a sufficient/insufficient reading is?
@Clearview Lee as far as I'm aware 30psi and below is low. An RO I think needs at least about 40psi. I had a pumped RO before I moved house and it took it to about 60-70 I think, and that was producing water fine. I have a screw on pressure tester like this. You screw it onto the thread of the tap and turn the tap on. I think it's from Screwfix or Toolstation I got it but can't remember which. Glad you're on the way to getting it sorted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508-185133 (1).png
    Screenshot_20240508-185133 (1).png
    254 KB · Views: 0
@Clearview Lee as far as I'm aware 30psi and below is low. An RO I think needs at least about 40psi. I had a pumped RO before I moved house and it took it to about 60-70 I think, and that was producing water fine. I have a screw on pressure tester like this. You screw it onto the thread of the tap and turn the tap on. I think it's from Screwfix or Toolstation I got it but can't remember which. Glad you're on the way to getting it sorted.
What a coincidence- I’ve just returned home from my club to find the pressure test arrived on my doorstep!! 😁
My reading is: 90 so I presume that it’s a good water pressure and should be running through the filters no problem at all 🤔

It’s producing something which is better than I was getting before, so I’ll just need to have another fiddle about tweaking it and see if I can get some sort of normality with it.

Thanks again, bud. 👍👌

Double check flow rate, see how long it takes to fill a 10lt bucket.
I assume you have checked that it's not a washing machine self cutting tap that's feeding your tap?

What a coincidence- I’ve just returned home from my club to find the pressure test arrived on my doorstep!! 😁
My reading is: 90 so I presume that it’s a good water pressure and should be running through the filters no problem at all 🤔

It’s producing something which is better than I was getting before, so I’ll just need to have another fiddle about tweaking it and see if I can get some sort of normality with it.

Thanks again, bud. 👍👌
You might have a 90psi now but, if your tap pressure and flow are affected by your neighbours filling up a swimming pool or washing a car etc then it can drop off, but you should be getting far more flow from your R/O have you checked that the sediment filter isn't clogged up and turned brown instead of been Lilly white

Double check flow rate, see how long it takes to fill a 10lt bucket.
I assume you have checked that it's not a washing machine self cutting tap that's feeding your tap?
I’ve just had the external tap plumbed in by a plumber running from the mains. I will check to see how long it takes to fill a 10L bucket thou! I’ll do that now…

Pressure and flow are two very different things, and you need both to run an RO.

My best illustration of this is a garden hose trickling out you put you finger on the end and you can get it to squirt out. The reason is that by restricting the flow, you increase the pressure. The flow rate however hasn't changed.

If your plumber has not installed a full flow valve when fitting the tap it could be causing a restriction, increasing the pressure, but restricting the flow.

When the water reaches the filters the volume increases and the pressure drops going back to the original pressure. (Removing your finger from the hose)

If you have an issue with the flow rate you can consider a break tank, or add an accumulator tank which will improve things.

Jason.

Back