Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

best tank to get?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

hi guys i have recently switched over to wfp using a nano trolley but its a pain having a van full of 25l containers so was thinking i could use a 500L container and just fill up as i go from a tank,seen a IBC container that has a pipe/tap that comes out the bottom which i think is 2inch so thought i could use something like that which would be quick to fill the 25l container back up.
any ideas whats the best tank to use and best way to set it up so can refill my nano trolley asap and get back to work?
i am also open to suggestions for a tank with a pump and a hose reel so can work from my van instead but i have no clue where to start with this?
its already cost me £1500 for the trolley pole resin etc so looking for a cheaper way to do it if possible.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

hi guys i have recently switched over to wfp using a nano trolley but its a pain having a van full of 25l containers so was thinking i could use a 500L container and just fill up as i go from a tank,seen a IBC container that has a pipe/tap that comes out the bottom which i think is 2inch so thought i could use something like that which would be quick to fill the 25l container back up.
any ideas whats the best tank to use and best way to set it up so can refill my nano trolley asap and get back to work?
i am also open to suggestions for a tank with a pump and a hose reel so can work from my van instead but i have no clue where to start with this?
its already cost me £1500 for the trolley pole resin etc so looking for a cheaper way to do it if possible.

If you read through posts on here, even those over the last year, you will see references to how unsafe fitting an IBC tank in a van is.

e.g. https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/...le-teesside-update-in-2024.38548/#post-545043

IBC tanks are fine transported fully filled or empty and properly secured. They don't have baffles, so half full contents will slop around, causing instability. We have a window cleaner who died on Teesside recently due to a collision. The company he worked for just secured IBC tanks in their vans with ratchet straps. Health and safety got involved and immediately removed his fleet from the road due to the tanks being unsafe.

There was another young windie killed in a bumper bashing accident in Norfolk. His tank broke free and slid forward and crushed him against his steering wheel. None of the other 2 drivers involved received any injuries from the accident.

A 500 litre tank needs baffles and needs to be properly secured with a frame bolted down. Suggest you look at the PureFreedom range with crash tested tanks. (Crash testing is done at 30MPH. Survival at speeds above that are not guaranteed.)

It's your life that's involved!

The best tank to get heading is rather vague.
Are you wanting a van mounted tank or home based static tank for production?
Regardless of how much you've already spent you'll have to spend a lot more

If it's a vehicle tank you want then you need to think about the vehicle you have, its gross weight, available space and of course fixings ie cage, spreader bars & brackets

A cheaper way only leads to improper methods of installation, accidents or loss of life

500L of water is half a ton in weight and over 100 tonnes in kinetic energy when it folds you in half and leaves the vehicle in a red mist

Unfortunately finding a tank isn't that simple and if you are wanting a pump, hoesreel, then a battery & charging system, flow controller you're going to need around 3K or more

If you read through posts on here, even those over the last year, you will see references to how unsafe fitting an IBC tank in a van is.

e.g. https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/...le-teesside-update-in-2024.38548/#post-545043

IBC tanks are fine transported fully filled or empty and properly secured. They don't have baffles, so half full contents will slop around, causing instability. We have a window cleaner who died on Teesside recently due to a collision. The company he worked for just secured IBC tanks in their vans with ratchet straps. Health and safety got involved and immediately removed his fleet from the road due to the tanks being unsafe.

There was another young windie killed in a bumper bashing accident in Norfolk. His tank broke free and slid forward and crushed him against his steering wheel. None of the other 2 drivers involved received any injuries from the accident.

A 500 litre tank needs baffles and needs to be properly secured with a frame bolted down. Suggest you look at the PureFreedom range with crash tested tanks. (Crash testing is done at 30MPH. Survival at speeds above that are not guaranteed.)

It's your life that's involved!
@spruce wow I remember seeing this all over facebook groups but had no idea it had been an ibc tank. That is absolutely terrible. From what I remember reading the business owner then tried to sell off work rounds and equipment such as vans etc. Really awful.

Osmotics.co.uk sell 500l tanks for around £500 free delivery, they are the cheapest I've found and a fast delivery

Osmotics.co.uk sell 500l tanks for around £500 free delivery, they are the cheapest I've found and a fast delivery
Tanks-direct also sell Wydale tanks. Then add the frame, spreader plates and then get it fitted will triple that price.

@spruce wow I remember seeing this all over facebook groups but had no idea it had been an ibc tank. That is absolutely terrible. From what I remember reading the business owner then tried to sell off work rounds and equipment such as vans etc. Really awful.
The sad thing is that he was warned on the forums that what he did was unsafe. He didn't listen. One of his staff paid the price with his life. I will also argue that the deceased window cleaner should also have refused to drive an unsafe vehicle, so there is also an element of responsibility on his shoulders.

This business wasn't the only one fitting used 1000 litre IBC tanks into their vans on Teesside.

I saw another company a few years back with an old Fiat Scudo/Citroën Dispatch/ Peugeot Expert with the same setup.
I didn't see whether the van was a 1.9 diesel or 2.0hdi. A 2.0hdi had a payload of 900kgs. There were 2 operatives and a full 1000 litre IBC tank held in place with rope. The windies weren't bothered as the van had a bulkhead. The tank actually moved around a bit, but it didn't concern them. "It won't go anywhere" was the response.

Very sadly, we see numerous windies every year in our local area with strapped tanks in the back of their vans using those load securing hooks. When you point out how unsafe it is, they don't listen. You see the same van a few months later and nothing has changed.

The best tank to get heading is rather vague.
Are you wanting a van mounted tank or home based static tank for production?
Regardless of how much you've already spent you'll have to spend a lot more

If it's a vehicle tank you want then you need to think about the vehicle you have, its gross weight, available space and of course fixings ie cage, spreader bars & brackets

A cheaper way only leads to improper methods of installation, accidents or loss of life

500L of water is half a ton in weight and over 100 tonnes in kinetic energy when it folds you in half and leaves the vehicle in a red mist

Unfortunately finding a tank isn't that simple and if you are wanting a pump, hoesreel, then a battery & charging system, flow controller you're going to need around 3K or more
Found a full set up with a 450l tank,pump reel controller etc on cleaning warehouse for £1200 including the frame so will go for that.

Got a big van so weight won't be an issue

The sad thing is that he was warned on the forums that what he did was unsafe. He didn't listen. One of his staff paid the price with his life. I will also argue that the deceased window cleaner should also have refused to drive an unsafe vehicle, so there is also an element of responsibility on his shoulders.

This business wasn't the only one fitting used 1000 litre IBC tanks into their vans on Teesside.

I saw another company a few years back with an old Fiat Scudo/Citroën Dispatch/ Peugeot Expert with the same setup.
I didn't see whether the van was a 1.9 diesel or 2.0hdi. A 2.0hdi had a payload of 900kgs. There were 2 operatives and a full 1000 litre IBC tank held in place with rope. The windies weren't bothered as the van had a bulkhead. The tank actually moved around a bit, but it didn't concern them. "It won't go anywhere" was the response.

Very sadly, we see numerous windies every year in our local area with strapped tanks in the back of their vans using those load securing hooks. When you point out how unsafe it is, they don't listen. You see the same van a few months later and nothing has changed.
It's very, very sad and I genuinely can't believe what some people think is ok to do.

I hate being a nag or anything like that and I don't pretend to be an expert at all, but knowing that window cleaners strap tanks down and think that's a permanent solution is awful. There's a reason ratchet straps aren't usually used to secure 'liquid' loads . I can't remember the name of it but it's to do with the force of the liquid when you put your foot on the break. Even with baffles it's not safe. As for an IBC that's complete madness even if it has a frame around it.

I saw a well known youtuber had a lad featured on a video with him and he had a tank about 200-250 litres - but in a car. They'd taken the back seats out and it was behind the driver. They'd sprayed it black I assume so it's not as easy to spot it's a tank of water. I admire the initiative and work ethic, but the setup was utter madness in my opinion.

It's very, very sad and I genuinely can't believe what some people think is ok to do.

I hate being a nag or anything like that and I don't pretend to be an expert at all, but knowing that window cleaners strap tanks down and think that's a permanent solution is awful. There's a reason ratchet straps aren't usually used to secure 'liquid' loads . I can't remember the name of it but it's to do with the force of the liquid when you put your foot on the break. Even with baffles it's not safe. As for an IBC that's complete madness even if it has a frame around it.

I saw a well known youtuber had a lad featured on a video with him and he had a tank about 200-250 litres - but in a car. They'd taken the back seats out and it was behind the driver. They'd sprayed it black I assume so it's not as easy to spot it's a tank of water. I admire the initiative and work ethic, but the setup was utter madness in my opinion.
Think you mean inertia?

Painted black to stop the water going green with algae growth from the sun?

Years back I started with a trailer with 3 x 150 litre linked tanks fitted. It was open to the elements. Every couple of weeks in summer I had to clean the green off the inside of those tanks.
I was glad to replace it with my first Citroen Relay 1.9 diesel swb van. Best decision ever.

Painted black to stop the water going green with algae growth from the sun?

Years back I started with a trailer with 3 x 150 litre linked tanks fitted. It was open to the elements. Every couple of weeks in summer I had to clean the green off the inside of those tanks.
I was glad to replace it with my first Citroen Relay 1.9 diesel swb van. Best decision ever.
@spruce yes probably, it still seemed a bit weird that unless you were standing next to the car you wouldn't have known a tank was in the back.

I think they believe it's an easy and cheap trade to enter. You only have to look at these posts to see that the budget along with a concern for safety is poorly planned
It used to be. A pair of light ladders, bucket, applicator, squeegee, boab and some scrims. A pair of roof racks for the family car with some clamps for us was everything we needed.
Wfp changed that.

Found a full set up with a 450l tank,pump reel controller etc on cleaning warehouse for £1200 including the frame so will go for that.

Got a big van so weight won't be an issue
Weight will always be an issue and no matter what size of van you have there will never be enough space.

When you work out your vans size and the dictated position of your tank you'll wish you brought bigger again. The tank or let's call it mass will need to be positioned where it's centre of mass and between both axles.

Weight will always be an issue and no matter what size of van you have there will never be enough space.

When you work out your vans size and the dictated position of your tank you'll wish you brought bigger again. The tank or let's call it mass will need to be positioned where it's centre of mass and between both axles.
I have 2 Mercedes sprinters with a load weight of 1500kg and a Renault master so got plenty space and a 500l tank won't be an issue for weight,my brother is a mechanical engineer so am sure he will get it fitted where it needs to be.

cheers for the feedback guys

I have 2 Mercedes sprinters with a load weight of 1500kg and a Renault master so got plenty space and a 500l tank won't be an issue for weight,my brother is a mechanical engineer so am sure he will get it fitted where it needs to be.

cheers for the feedback guys
A sprinter with 1500kg payload ?? They certainly had nothing that high when I was looking at them was 900-1200 depending on model

Latest Posts

Back