Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Flow speed from tank question

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Scrubsy

Can someone please tell me what the flow speed on a van system translates to in litres per minute please?

I see lots of comments on fb and videos on youtube talking about flow in the number on the dial on the controller, but wasn't sure what that translated to.

I only use a backpack as I do a bit of a mix of water fed and traditional, but would like to maybe build a smallish system later this year (I have the backpack set fairly high as I like a bit more water, but even then it's probably less than 2 litres a minute overall).

Thanks for your help.

A 'standard' surflo pump is 100psi and 5lts per min. It does depend on hose diameter and jet sizes.
The controllers (mainly by spring) are a 1 to 100 scale. The numbers relate to pump speed but it's probably not a linear flow.
I think squeeky clean Dave did a test and showed for his setup his max lts/min was achieved at about 70 on the controller.

Can someone please tell me what the flow speed on a van system translates to in litres per minute please?

I see lots of comments on fb and videos on youtube talking about flow in the number on the dial on the controller, but wasn't sure what that translated to.

I only use a backpack as I do a bit of a mix of water fed and traditional, but would like to maybe build a smallish system later this year (I have the backpack set fairly high as I like a bit more water, but even then it's probably less than 2 litres a minute overall).

Thanks for your help.
Numbers on a controller are just numbers in my opinion. The best way to measure your actual flow in lpm are the following

1, get a wife or girlfriend with a stop watch

2, get a large measuring jug which will hold 5 litres of water
3, place your pole over the jug to ensure both jets are aiming inside it

4, turn on your backpack or van system to full power and start the stop watch and count to 1 minute

5, after a minute stop the timer and count how many litres you've used

Old video of mine below

I agree with AW. This is pretty much what I did to work mine out. Those numbers on your controller, whether digital or analogue are only there as a reference to help you workout what is best for you. The only way to work it out for real with your setup is to do the actual test as AW describes.

First set up your kit how you plan to use it. Ie:, Full length of hose connected up to your pole with brush and even jets you plan to use. Then do the 1 min test resting the brush over a bucket to catch the water from both jets and then pour the contents into a jug to determine the volume.
(It is important to do the test with brush and jets attached as the jets will restrict the flow. Fanjets more so)

Do the test several times using different values on the controller to give you an idea of which numbers give you what output.

I agree with AW. This is pretty much what I did to work mine out. Those numbers on your controller, whether digital or analogue are only there as a reference to help you workout what is best for you. The only way to work it out for real with your setup is to do the actual test as AW describes.

First set up your kit how you plan to use it. Ie:, Full length of hose connected up to your pole with brush and even jets you plan to use. Then do the 1 min test resting the brush over a bucket to catch the water from both jets and then pour the contents into a jug to determine the volume.
(It is important to do the test with brush and jets attached as the jets will restrict the flow. Fanjets more so)

Do the test several times using different values on the controller to give you an idea of which numbers give you what output.
Ok thank you for your help @Marko067

Back