Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help with this tile cleaning job

WCF

Help Support WCF:

eddyl3000

Hi all, I have no prior experience in cleaning roof tiles but I've been asked if I can clean the moss and dirt (mainly just the moss) off roof tiles that go down the side of this ladies house (see pictures) and I'm wanting to give it a go 👍

Just wondering if anyone can share how they'd tackle this job and what's the best way to do it, would it be a roof scraper of some sort or would you blast if off with a pressure washer

Also will it be difficult with the angles of the of the job as its over a conservatory?

Thank you 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20240415_123814.jpg
    IMG_20240415_123814.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240415_123807.jpg
    IMG_20240415_123807.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 0
I'd leave it to someone else those tiles might drop off it looks a very small job.

I have a tile fall off before when I cleaned the windows on a similar house. Ws lose and vibration was enough for it to drop.

You could gentley brush the moss of with a wire brush.

You can get equipment from here -
https://marshallpro.us/

Might be worth just spraying it with biocide but you will have to advise the customer that it will take months to work. That way no pressure on the tiles so very small chance of any dropping. Maybe even hypo but there is the upvc to be wary of.

I have questions are the tiles loose ? if so the dirt might be the only thing holding it together, If it was me doing it, i would use very low pressure on a phantom pole with a turbo nozzle & biocide after the clean, you could try to scraping it, but i would have thought that would likely do more to pull the tiles out than water would again i am not there can't really see how it all fits together, i have a few houses on my street with bay windows that have them tiles and i have noticed they tend to be really loose so inform the customer some might come out...

They look like rosemarie tiles they are very delicate , the silver circles are liken that will take some time to die and come off , I would just give it a blast with the garden hose and either spray with a strong biocide or hypo mix I wouldn’t want to scrub them much as can see them breaking or falling off.

Other than what Pjj has mentioned it appears that you have a conservatory below with a glazed roof so absolute care and caution must be used. It's often easy to spot a quick earner and offer help to others but little jobs like thus could cost you more than you make

I'd walk away from it because you are going to need to put something like plywood sheets on the conny roof to protect those polycarbonate panels because a falling hanging tile could potentially go straight through the roof as the conservatory looks about knackered maybe 15-20 years old all this to me and you having no experience equals a ⚽ ache

Thanks for the comments everyone, think I'm going to give it a miss, I'll make sure my first attempt at something like this is an easy one 👍

Thanks 👍

Back