Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Solar cleaning twenty questions

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Spit & polish

Hi

1.i did look into solar training but didnt hear back from the firm any recommendations as i like the idea to cover my backside if anything goes wrong?

2. Brush heads i have seen a few that they are made for solar will these fit on a gardiner pole?

3. 47ft i presume should suffice on two storey homes who need cleaning?

4.insurance how much extra and who do you reconnend.

Hi

1.i did look into solar training but didnt hear back from the firm any recommendations as i like the idea to cover my backside if anything goes wrong?

2. Brush heads i have seen a few that they are made for solar will these fit on a gardiner pole?

Solar cleaning is like glass but 6 times more expensive, 

Plenty of solar related posts and valued information from the likes of @Pjj

Training in my opinion is just a cash drain and profiteering venture 

An understanding of high voltage, heat dissipation, thermal shock and access are the main topics to read up on 

Contact your PLI provider and discuss add on service cover for PV 

Thanks @Apw1210 i already read from start to finish the posts and jotted down everyones points (as you say alot of @Pjj - thank you pjj). 

As alot of the posts are a few years old people may have changed their view on what pole, brush head, pL provider etc.

Thanks to everyone on the forum by the way lots of helpful info.

Hi

When I clean mine and any customers solar panels then I put my ladder up to underside of gutter at centre of the panels. Then I clean them with my 18 feet hot water pole. Takes about 20 minutes a side. I do mine in March each year and makes a big difference on my day's energy result. ?

When I clean mine and any customers solar panels then I put my ladder up to underside of gutter at centre of the panels. Then I clean them with my 18 feet hot water pole. Takes about 20 minutes a side. I do mine in March each year and makes a big difference on my day's energy result. ?
Sounds a safe way to work. Not.

Thanks @Apw1210 i already read from start to finish the posts and jotted down everyones points (as you say alot of @Pjj - thank you pjj). 

As alot of the posts are a few years old people may have changed their view on what pole, brush head, pL provider etc.

Thanks to everyone on the forum by the way lots of helpful info.
Licken on solar panels is difficult to remove ,especially using cold water and working from the ground . Some spray them with biocide and leave for  a few weeks / months over time they will die and should eventually come off by themselves with natural weathering, but it’s difficult to charge a customer for doing it this way . Others will spray with biocide leave a few weeks then go back and scrub with wfp usually from a scaffold tower as working from the ground and trying to apply pressure to the panels is very difficult , working off a ladder doing this is very unwise and usually you are still to low down and working over your head trying to scrubb which again isn’t very productive or safe . Some will work from a scaffold tower and careful scrape the licken off with a scraper and then wfp . Hot wfp will remove it usually unless it’s particularly heavy growth , always soak the licken first it will absorb the water and this will soften it and make it much easier to remove . Some and Ime not recommending this will  use a pressure washer with a fsc to remove it . Hope this is helpful 

Last edited by a moderator:
I could use my scaffold but I'm only charging £60 to £80 a time so I try and dodge them, too much hassle.
Lol if doing solar with licken the price is several hundred per house , unfortunately we have 6 booked in over the next few months all with scaffold towers added to the price , none of us like doing them so we charge very high prices hoping they will say no ???but most will pay it as it has to be done and very few will do them or know how to do them down hear . 

Lol if doing solar with licken the price is several hundred per house , unfortunately we have 6 booked in over the next few months all with scaffold towers added to the price , none of us like doing them so we charge very high prices hoping they will say no ???but most will pay it as it has to be done and very few will do them or know how to do them down hear . 
Aye, I might go down your road and price in the scaffold in future. As you say, no one wants to do them so adding a ton for the scaffold makes sense and if I don't get it then nothing lost. ? I found cleaning from the ridge was the easiest way to do both sides because panels usually near the top. I do that when I'm fitting metal mesh for pigeon proofing.

So basically a 47ft no use by the sounds of it shame as i have a few estates with them on 2 story houses that dont look like their been done.

So basically a 47ft no use by the sounds of it shame as i have a few estates with them on 2 story houses that dont look like their been done.
Once you do one and realise how hard it is cleaning them from the ground then you will be glad you don't get another. Cleaning anything at same level then you can put pressure on brush and scrub away. I used my PW lance because how bad they were and they came up great. Hard to damage panels due to the amount of silicone on them.

If there is no licken on them then yes a 47 is ideal for  doing them from the ground don’t extend the top section this will stiffen up the pole no end and stop it rubbing on the gutters . 

So basically avoid panels is the motto then, liked the idea of a minimum fee on thought it might be a good earner, i'll have to borrow my friends longest pole and try a few panels out.

So basically avoid panels is the motto then, liked the idea of a minimum fee on thought it might be a good earner, i'll have to borrow my friends longest pole and try a few panels out.
My advice would be ,be careful and anything with licken on be very careful or very expensive, just a normal clean on 16 panels shouldn’t take longer than  25-45 muinits , if an easy job from the ground we would be from £85 but if traveling was involved then a fair bit more . 

@Pjj i will just be using pure water and saying its the best i can get it safely from the ground unless they want scaffold cost which i expect them to suddenly have that do attitude.

Going to watch out for lichen ones binoculars will be taken.

hi can i justcome in on thisone quickly iam here cause a custy wants me to do her pannels i thought id just check if i need a solar brush for what ever reason. months ago custy had about 20 panels on a grass bank in his garden i used a flocked gardiner window brush seamed to work ok took about half an hour dont think i did any damage did i ? thanks as usual

As far as I am aware solar panels have a glass top layer, so any brush will be fine. I believe most manufacturers will invalidate their 25+ year warranty if chemicals are used to clean them!!!!

Back