Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter clearing off a ladder

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I have been using ladders for 17 years. Still clean windows traditionally. I have had two accidents in that time, both times the ladders slipped out from under me. Both my own fault in hinde sight, and I was OK. When used correctly they are perfectly safe. I have had more accidents in my home than I have had working off a ladder. But that doesn't mean working at height should be taken lightly. I also limit the height I work too to 20ft.

I have also cleaned gutters off a ladder with no issues, however it's not a service I currently offer.

The cost of gutter vacs can be a barrier for small business just starting out. If you already have a ladder, you would only need a stand off, bucket, scoop, rubble bags and zip ties to clean out gutters. There is hooks you can buy in B&Q which are quite useful.

If your only going to do a handful of jobs here and there, and would question the investment of an expensive gutter vac. If you have the cash, and hate heights, fare enough a vac is the way to go.

I have been using ladders for 17 years. Still clean windows traditionally. I have had two accidents in that time, both times the ladders slipped out from under me. Both my own fault in hinde sight, and I was OK. When used correctly they are perfectly safe. I have had more accidents in my home than I have had working off a ladder. But that doesn't mean working at height should be taken lightly. I also limit the height I work too to 20ft.

I have also cleaned gutters off a ladder with no issues, however it's not a service I currently offer.

The cost of gutter vacs can be a barrier for small business just starting out. If you already have a ladder, you would only need a stand off, bucket, scoop, rubble bags and zip ties to clean out gutters. There is hooks you can buy in B&Q which are quite useful.

If your only going to do a handful of jobs here and there, and would question the investment of an expensive gutter vac. If you have the cash, and hate heights, fare enough a vac is the way to go.
You've been very fortunate! Absolutely no excuse in my opinion to still be working from ladders, they are the most dangerous DIY tool out there! I would advise anyone who is planning to start up a window cleaning business or a gutter cleaning service to invest in a wfp system & a Gutter vacuum system from the word Go. If you can't afford the equipment then get a loan or save for it. The deaths and serious injuries from using ladders is astronomical! People still don't seem to get it!

You've been very fortunate! Absolutely no excuse in my opinion to still be working from ladders, they are the most dangerous DIY tool out there! I would advise anyone who is planning to start up a window cleaning business or a gutter cleaning service to invest in a wfp system & a Gutter vacuum system from the word Go. If you can't afford the equipment then get a loan or save for it. The deaths and serious injuries from using ladders is astronomical! People still don't seem to get it!
@J D do you use a ladder if you get something like a root growing in a downpipe?

I can't remember the last time I used a ladder for window cleaning, and I'm too old to be using one even for hopping over gates and fences etc.

7/10 times a gutter clear goes ok with the vacuum, but occasionally it's that heavily compacted or something is stuck/growing in the downpipe that I've gone up, sorted the blockage and come back down again. Once or twice an end cap has popped off and I've gone up and put it back on. But I would never do it if it was on my own. I've always got someone footing the ladder. If it was something like a repair/replacement was needed I'd recommend a gutter company do it instead. I avoid gutter clearing as much as possible to be honest as I don't enjoy it at all, so only if it's a regular windows customer and then at least I already know the layout of the property.

Forgive me if I’ve miss read your post but you shouldn’t be using diy ladders for everyday use. Trade only. I got a set of diy ladders when I first started and they went in the bin after the first week.

Most dangerous DIY tool out there???
Oh oh oh. Chain saw,grinders Stanley knives, women etc etc.

Mad you pal, I do agree that h + s has gone mad over the years and is taking over from common sense but when it comes to protecting your workers you should take note. I certainly wouldn’t want to be making a call to my employees family to let them know that he’s not comin home.
Or her!

The HSE reports that 40 fatal injuries occurred in 2022/23 as a result of falls from height, dont think that just off ladders.
So that’s just deaths - they don’t report on the no doubt thousands of near misses, broken bones, chipped teeth, punctured lungs fractured skulls etc…because hands up 🙌🏻 who has reported their *accidents* to HSE? Anyone?

So that’s just deaths - they don’t report on the no doubt thousands of near misses, broken bones, chipped teeth, punctured lungs fractured skulls etc…because hands up 🙌🏻 who has reported their *accidents* to HSE? Anyone?
Think by law you have to if you have staff.

Looks like they have a death wish 😂😂😂😂
For sure, I’ve done some stupid things on ladders back in day but they take the biscuit. The first one looks like a relatively new build so can’t be that long ago🤯
£300 and he could’ve had a proper scaffold erected. As for the second one, I’m speechless. 10/10 for beating the laws of physics.

Latest Posts

Back