Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

If you are installing a diesel heater, then it is not too complicated if you are DIY savvy.

However, you have to plan where you are going to fit it and where you are going to route the inlet and exhaust through the floor. I also wrapped the top section of the exhaust through the floor with heat bandage.

You also need a split charge relay or B2B charger. The suggestion is to use the van's alternator to provide the initial start-up current to save the battery. Switch the diesel heater on before driving to the first clean will let the alternator provide the start-up current. The other plus is that the water will be hot when you start the first clean.

The most challenging is going to be providing diesel. If you are going to draw diesel from the van's tank, then you need a stand pipe into the tank. That will be vehicle specific. Years back, we could 'plumb' into the return diesel pipe to the tank. I did this with my 04 plate Citroën Relay. On my 62 plate Peugeot Boxer, I had to order and fit the vehicle specific stand-pipe to the vehicle's in-tank fuel pump housing.

There are fuel tanks available, but the biggest I've seen is 15 litres. There are also boat marine fuel tanks, but they take up a lot of valuable floor space.

These 9kw heaters use around 1.25 litres of fuel an hour. My Peugeot Boxer returns around 24 MPG on my round. When I use the heater every day, my fuel consumption drops to 12MPG. I work about 4 hours a day. Using a 15 litre tank would mean having to refuel every couple of days.

Back