Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Only one DI vessel in van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

bryyy2104

Hi all...
I was just wondering if any of you fill your van tank with tap water and work with just the one DI vessel in the van. To filter the water.

Do you manage to get 0ppm? And does it go through resin super fast?

I"m just wondering if it would be a good back up option if my RO were to go bottoms up.

Hi all...
I was just wondering if any of you fill your van tank with tap water and work with just the one DI vessel in the van. To filter the water.

Do you manage to get 0ppm? And does it go through resin super fast?

I"m just wondering if it would be a good back up option if my RO were to go bottoms up.
With the upmost respect, I'd recommend if you spent some time reading through the forum and familiarise yourself with WFP window cleaning, vehicle setup and water production.

There is so much you need to know with regards to tds, ppm, geographical locations vs water hardness etc

We get asked these questions so often

Two DI tanks means you use every last drop of resin.

As @AW Services mentioned there’s loads of stuff on here but I would always recommend two DI tanks to make sure you’re getting your moneys worth out of the resin.

It’s possible to get 0ppm from a single DI but of your TDS is high you’ll be changing the resin all the time and it will end up costing you loads

Assuming your tap TDS is low enough to just DI, I would fill your tank through the DI and check it at start and a couple more times before full.
I personally would never DI on demand
Depends what your tap tds is. If it’s low enough then water straight in to the tank and pump through the di. Doesn’t get any easier. If tds is too high for one di then just use double di. It’s about as simple as it gets. Pretty much no maintenance needed just change the resin as and when

The vital information you need:

Where do you live and what's your tap tds ppm?

If you have tap water with a tds of 80ppm or lower I'd recommend using resin DI vessel system

If you have tap water with a tds of 80ppm or higher I'd recommend using a RO/DI system

If your tds ppm count is high you'll need to buy a tap water pressure gauge and get an accurate reading of your mains water pressure

We do not produce pure water on the move
A shurflo 8000 series pump or similar isn't designed to be used with this method as its an almighty strain to draw water through a DI and then push it along your hose

All of the information you need is within this forum and taking notes and reading your way through will better aid your understanding and ability to source the correct equipment

A high ppm count will drastically reduce the service life of resin and you'll be spending a fortune on resin where an RO/DI is more efficient

Depends what your tap tds is. If it’s low enough then water straight in to the tank and pump through the di. Doesn’t get any easier. If tds is too high for one di then just use double di. It’s about as simple as it gets. Pretty much no maintenance needed just change the resin as and when
As I said assuming tap TDS was low enough. However if you're away from home and your resin goes off then you have to stop work and go home to change it.

That's a surefire way to slow production on demand and possibly knackering your pump

Slows production?
Tap water in tank then pumped through the di. Flows about as fast as it gets. I never ever go over 50 on the controller. Could work off 30 but I like a fast flow to rinse quicker.
This pump hasnt knackered yet and I think it’s either 6 or 7 years old.

I used to use one vessel when I first started as my tap water wa and still is around 40ppm but when I found out about double vessels I moved to that as it still saved alot on resin even with such low ppm to start off with plus I always have a spare incase one fails. I wouldn’t filter on the job as it’s one more thing that can and probably will go wrong. Each to their own with that one though I suppose. When I had a smaller tank I did used to keep the vessels in the van so I could fill up whilst out but now they stay at home as I have more than enough water once I upgraded my tank.

Not sure what can go wrong with resin vessels on the van to be honest.
Fittings could break I suppose but always have spares on the van.
The resin vessels are pretty bulletproof themselves.
Never run out of water as always carry a little bit more than I think I would need. Just comes with experience.
But like you said mate each to their own.
Been working this way for years and if it ain’t broke an all that!

My tds is always running around 50 to 60 in summer. I like using a double DI vessel set up before fill, as it’s difficult to ro/di flush on the road I live.
I like this setup, as it’s efficient on resin, but do have a tds meter between so I can monitor changes.
It really depends on your water quality.

Not sure what can go wrong with resin vessels on the van to be honest.
Fittings could break I suppose but always have spares on the van.
The resin vessels are pretty bulletproof themselves.
Never run out of water as always carry a little bit more than I think I would need. Just comes with experience.
But like you said mate each to their own.
Been working this way for years and if it ain’t broke an all that!
They can fail but as you say and I agree there’s not much that can. My oldest one is 10+ years old and still going strong but it’s sods law that when you need it the most it will😂

Thanks for the info. Maybe I didn't word my question very clearly.

When starting I used the double DI setup to fill my van tank. We have low TDS readings in South Wales usually 70-80ppm, which made this feasible. However, thinking long term I found an RO 4040 set-up half price on eBay, with a 1000ltr IBC tank which has worked well for me for the last 6 months.

I have spent many hours reading up on the forums and soaking up the YouTube videos, which helped me build my - rather basic - set-up from scratch. I completely agree with you with what some of you have said and am not trying to waste your time.

My question is more of a back up plan. I'm not a risk taker and like to cover my bases. So if my RO set-up were to break down, and I was down to my last dregs of resin and things were going horribly wrong, would it theoretically be possible to run for a few weeks on a 350 ltr tank full of tap water pumped through one resin vessel?

Based on what a lot of you have said it does seem possible, but not as a long term option, so that's good to know. Only for emergencies it is then 😊

Next question... How do I get started window cleaning? 😜

When starting I used the double DI setup to fill my van tank. We have low TDS readings in South Wales usually 70-80ppm, which made this feasible. However, thinking long term I found an RO 4040 set-up half price on eBay, with a 1000ltr IBC tank which has worked well for me for the last 6 months.

I have spent many hours reading up on the forums and soaking up the YouTube videos, which helped me build my - rather basic - set-up from scratch. I completely agree with you with what some of you have said and am not trying to waste your time.

My question is more of a back up plan. I'm not a risk taker and like to cover my bases. So if my RO set-up were to break down, and I was down to my last dregs of resin and things were going horribly wrong, would it theoretically be possible to run for a few weeks on a 350 ltr tank full of tap water pumped through one resin vessel?

Based on what a lot of you have said it does seem possible, but not as a long term option, so that's good to know. Only for emergencies it is then 😊

Why can't you operate like the majority of us and just create your pure water at home, fill the van and off to work.
Your proposed method is somewhat dated, inefficient and will strain your pump.
Diaphragm pumps such as the common shurflo 8000 series are predominantly designed to work with a gravity fed water supply where your system would be trying to suck water through a di & resin.

With the greatest respect, you are over thinking an extremely basic setup

You can run your tap water through a resin bottle for as long as you want. On a 70-80 tds with one di the resin won’t last long. There are various threads on using double di . I do this myself. I have 72 tds out of the tap. I run it through two di’s. After 3 weeks the tds is reading 2-3 then I put the di furthest away from the water to the front and put a fresh one next to it. And so on. So a bag of resin is lasting roughly 6 weeks. It’s certainly not the cheapest way of doing it but it’s easy and works for me.
Just to be clear my set up is as follows -
Tank of water
Pump
resin bottles
hose
In that order.
Trust me it will not knacker your pump. This pump I’m on is 6-7 years old

Why can't you operate like the majority of us and just create your pure water at home, fill the van and off to work.
Diaphragm pumps such as the common shurflo 8000 series are predominantly designed to work with a gravity fed water supply where your system would be trying to suck water through a di & resin.

As per my post that you quoted, this is exactly what I am doing.

My original question about would it work, was based on a conversation I had with a friend who has been window cleaning a few years longer than me. I was surprised when he said he works this way, but it worked for him as he only worked 2.5 days a week.

Personally I want to produce my pure water and get it into the van as easily and as cheaply as possible. We're all trying to make a living and I'm a big believer in working smarter not harder.

Not the only way it can be done. I use to fill my tank with tap water then pump through a DI vessel. So it went tank-pump-di-reel. Worked well for me for a long time, I eventually fitted a 2nd DI vessel to maximise the life of the resin.

Latest Posts

Back