Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water tank

WCF

Help Support WCF:

bearded llama

Hi what's the average amount of water you guys get through in a day please. I'm just starting out and looking at systems but have no idea what size tank to get. I'm going to be using a water fed pole. I'm thinking about a compact system 350 litres. Will that be big enough for a day's work window cleaning?

@bearded llama it's probably a little bit of a "how long is a piece of string" predicament, but some of the guys on here will be spot on. I'm researching this myself at the moment and it's probably worth knowing what other equipment you'll need with you some days (such as a gutter vacuum, or even spare brushes and some traditional kit etc). I have a friend who has I think about 250 litres and is fine, two others have 600 litres in their vans. If it's just yourself going from job to job then 350 sounds good. Bare in mind some cleans are worse than others so some days you'll have water to spare and others you may end up needing to refill.

Hi what's the average amount of water you guys get through in a day please. I'm just starting out and looking at systems but have no idea what size tank to get. I'm going to be using a water fed pole. I'm thinking about a compact system 350 litres. Will that be big enough for a day's work window cleaning?
Working out what size tank is only half of your sums

The other key part of the puzzle is how much water do I have access to so that I can refill and replenish

If living in an area where you'll be using spotless then you have it easier than someone doing their own pure water at home along with product time and access storage

The standard gauge is normally 350L tank but then you need to consider your vehicle and weights which is always a popular and constant question

There are a few things to consider:
Your vans load capacity - most don't allow for driver, spare wheel and sometimes only half a tank of fuel. Check vin plate and or V5. You also need to consider the axle loads (Vin plate = maxs) and not put the tank too far forward or too far back.
Do you have anywhere at home you can process water into an ibc tank - garage/shed etc. If so you can nip home to refill if your work is close to home.
How many hrs do you intend to work?
I have a 400lts tank and find it fine but I don't work long days.

Personally I would start out just concentrating on window cleaning and gaining customers then come Sept if you are doing ok get a GVS Panther gutter vac and promote to existing customers.

There are a few things to consider:
Your vans load capacity - most don't allow for driver, spare wheel and sometimes only half a tank of fuel. Check vin plate and or V5. You also need to consider the axle loads (Vin plate = maxs) and not put the tank too far forward or too far back.
Do you have anywhere at home you can process water into an ibc tank - garage/shed etc. If so you can nip home to refill if your work is close to home.
How many hrs do you intend to work?
I have a 400lts tank and find it fine but I don't work long days.

Personally I would start out just concentrating on window cleaning and gaining customers then come Sept if you are doing ok get a GVS Panther gutter vac and promote to existing customers.
Ideally I'll be working around 6 hours a day max. I've checked for weight and I can carry upto around 800L plus gutter vac, pressure washer etc but I don't want a bigger tank than I need. I don't have anywhere at home to process water.

Ideally I'll be working around 6 hours a day max. I've checked for weight and I can carry upto around 800L plus gutter vac, pressure washer etc but I don't want a bigger tank than I need. I don't have anywhere at home to process water.
My 400lts tanks is an upright tank that has a small footprint giving max space for other kit. Worst case you could carry a few 25lts drums if you find you need more water on odd days. Long term things to consider are an electric reel and through floor rollers space wise. You do have lots of space but Pressure Washers, buffer tanks, hoses, brushes, hypo barrels, fsc etc all take up quite a bit of space so planning the possibilities as best as you can where stuff might fit is probably a good idea.

My 400lts tanks is an upright tank that has a small footprint giving max space for other kit. Worst case you could carry a few 25lts drums if you find you need more water on odd days. Long term things to consider are an electric reel and through floor rollers space wise. You do have lots of space but Pressure Washers, buffer tanks, hoses, brushes, hypo barrels, fsc etc all take up quite a bit of space so planning the possibilities as best as you can where stuff might fit is probably a good idea.
Totally agree mate. I need to plan the floor space in the van. Need to get it right first time. Thanks for your advice 👍

Back