Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

needing some info

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tandrews

What's up Pros,

My name is Tim and I am thinking about buying a WFP setup and traditional kit to make some money in my free time. I am a novice and have practically no window washing experience. I am a quick learner and I CAN clean stuff so I'm not worried about a few training sessions on my own windows to get spun up to speed. I do have quite a few questions and would greatly appreciate any input that you all could provide.

-I'm thinking about grabbing a facelift bigboy2 WFP kit with a 22ft pole. Any thoughts on the kit? I've read the reviews and watched a bunch of videos--everyone seems to like it.

-Many washers, if not all, use PURE water. I'm looking to do a small-time operation working out of a garage and the back of my car boot. Is pure water a must have? and if so, is there a cheap way to buy/make it?

-I have seen many different soaps for windows. Every brand seems to be the best and the price range varies greatly. My biggest concern is if certain soaps or treatments damage windows or window frames? (i.e. will all soaps work on wood frame, metal frame, UPVC?)

-Is window washing profitable and steady all year round? have I missed my opportunity for this year?

-What do pro's usually charge for a standard house? is it per house? per window? I was going to charge residents in my estate 8gbp per average sized house and maybe a bit more or less when I consider size and travelling distance.

Like I said previously, I'm a newbie and any info would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Tim

You will ned a small R/O to make your pure as Bury St Edmunds will be very hard water, Newmarket is 400+. The kit you've chosen to start is adequate, there's better in my opinion. Window cleaning can be very profitable IF you can get the work, I would think £8 in Bury St. Edmunds is very cheap

Welcome Tim, If you don't want to go up a ladder then yes you need pure water, as @Part Timer has said you live in a hard water area so an R/O and DI vessel including resin to produce pure water is going to cost you in the region of £400 upwards, so the answer to your question is no there ain't a cheap way to produce it on your own in terms of initial outlay so just to go and clean your first house you will need to spend quite a bit of money. 

As for using a traditional method and what soap to use, there is absolutely nothing wrong with household washing up liquid and regarding working out of your car you will need to make your insurance company aware of your intentions as you will need to be covered for business use otherwise your insurance will be void. 

Back